New international students must receive an offer of place at AIS before they can apply for a student visa, and the visa must remain current in order to remain studying in New Zealand. Additionally, international students must pass at least 75% of their courses, and achieve over 95% attendance, before Immigration New Zealand will accept a student visa renewal application.
AIS offers an online visa service in partnership with Immigration New Zealand for new and continuing students. The AIS Online Visa Office at the St Helens Campus is open Monday to Friday between 10.00am and 3.00pm (except on public holidays), and can:
- renew a current student visa
- change a student visa from another provider to AIS
- change a visitor or work visa to a student visa (in some instances only as special conditions apply)
The Online Visa Office can also issue Post-Study Work Visas (Open) for AIS graduates of programmes at Level 6 and above. Online visa applications are generally processed within one week.
The AIS Online Visa Office cannot process:
- renewals of expired visas of any type
- limited purpose visas
- visa variations for a change of programme upon arrival
For these, manual applications must be made directly to Immigration New Zealand.
If your spouse or partner has joined you in New Zealand, they may be eligible for a New Zealand work visa under Immigration New Zealand’s Family Stream. To qualify, you must be enrolled in:
- a Level 7 (or higher) qualification (that is, a bachelor’s degree or graduate diploma programme) in an area of absolute skill shortage as specified in the Long Term Skill Shortage List, or
- a postgraduate qualification (that is, the PGDBA or MBA programmes)
A work visa application for your spouse or partner must be made directly to Immigration New Zealand. For information on the conditions that apply, and to view the Long Term Skill Shortage List, visit the www.immigration.govt.nz website.