AIS offers credits for prior studies to new students who have completed courses at institutions within New Zealand and overseas, enabling students to “top-up” their qualifications.
Formal cross-credit transfer (articulation) arrangements are in place with a number of local and international partner institutions, and for the New Zealand Diploma in Business. Cross-credits may also be available for students with other New Zealand qualifications in Business, Tourism Management, Hospitality Management and Information Technology. Further information is available from Student Services.
A cross-credit application will only be considered for credit towards a programme in which you are currently enrolled, and must be submitted within four weeks of that programme's official start date. Fees may apply. Where an articulation arrangement is in place, and for all New Zealand institutions, attach a copy of your official transcript. For all other institutions, you must supply detailed, authorised course outlines and results records, as well as information about the qualification and the awarding institution.
Cross-credit application forms are available from Student Services - Administration. After completing the form, attach all supporting documentation and discuss with your Academic Head of Programme, take the form to the cashier's office, and then submit the form to Student Services Administration.
Following submission, a formal assessment of your application will be made based on level, credit value and content mapping with AIS courses. Your application will then be forwarded to the Academic Board for approval, and you will be notified of the result by letter.
There is no provision for cross-credits in graduate diploma programmes, or in pre-MBA studies.
Cross Credit Application Fees
The following application fees are non-refundable and must be paid before an application can be processed:
$50 per course/module for studies completed in New Zealand
$250 per undergraduate course for studies completed overseas
$100 per postgraduate module for studies completed overseas
There are no fees for credit of courses included in approved articulation agreements with other providers, or for credit of courses from the New Zealand Diploma in Business.
Tuition fees paid for courses subsequently cross-credited are held in credit until completion of the programme, for reconciliation upon clearance.
Normally the number of cross-credits available is subject to the following limitations:
- Level 5 diploma level - three courses, except for the DIT - four courses
- Level 6 diploma level - six courses, except for the DIT - eight courses
- Bachelor’s degree level - nine courses, except for the BIT - 12 courses
- Postgraduate Certificate in Business Administration - two modules
- Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration - four modules
- Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration (Internship) - three modules
- Master of Business Administration - eight modules
Where an approved articulation agreement exists, this limit may be increased to:
- Level 5 diploma level - four courses, except for the DIT - five courses
- Level 6 diploma level - eight courses, except for the DIT - 10 courses
- Bachelor’s degree level - 12 courses, except for the BIT - 14 courses
- Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration - five modules
- Master of Business Administration - 10 modules
Students awarded cross-credits towards a qualification who subsequently transfer to a lower-level qualification (for instance, from a bachelor’s degree to a Level 6 diploma) will only be able to count the number of cross-credits allowed for the lower-level qualification.
Note that these arrangements are for students being admitted to AIS for the first time. Existing AIS students seeking to study a course at another institution with the intention of seeking a future cross-credit must seek the prior approval of their Academic Head of Programme. Failure to do so may result in the cross-credit application being rejected.