DR LEONIE MENZIES (nee DE WITT)
Senior Lecturer: Business
Currently senior lecturer at the Auckland Institute of Studies. I believe that by being part of a Higher Education Institution, I have a crucial role to play in the holistic development and progression of students. Higher education learning, of which I am a facilitator, consists of a multifaceted mixture of knowledge, understanding and skills. It also embodies values, attitudes and behaviour that form part of a student’s academic performance. I am passionate about education as I believe that through education and research we can make a positive contribution to solving some of the ever-increasing global challenges that we face.
2016 - Current Senior Lecturer, Business Programme, Auckland Institute of Studies
2013 - 2016 Senior Lecturer; Faculty of Human Sciences, Vaal University of Technology
2011 - 2013 Lecturer; Faculty of Business and Economic Sciences, Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
2008 – 2011 Lecturer; International marketing management (IMM); Business; Tourism, Damelin Pty Ltd.
2009 Independent Contractor; Varsity College, Port Elizabeth, South Africa
2012 PhD in Tourism Management – North-West University (Potchefstroom), South Africa
2007 Master of Commerce (Tourism Management) - North-West University (Potchefstroom), South Africa
2006 Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) - North-West University (Potchefstroom), South Africa
2005 Bachelor of Commerce (General) - North-West University (Potchefstroom), South Africa
My research interest is multi-disciplinary of nature; I enjoy studying people, resources and the intricate relationships between them. My specialisation is in the field of sustainable tourism development with a focus on visitor experiences and perceptions, community involvement and environmental responsibility.
- De Witt, L. & Van der Merwe, P. (2015). Key environmental management factors in protected areas: an eco-tourist perspective. African Journal of Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure, Vol 4(2), pp 1-12
- De Witt, L. (2014). The importance of an eco-efficient tourism industry surrounding the Vaal Region: a tourist’s perspective. African Journal of Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure, Vol. 3(2), pp. 1-10
- De Witt, L., Van Der Merwe, P. & Saayman, M. (2014). Critical ecotourism factors applicable to National Parks: a visitors’ perspective. Tourism Review International, Vol. 17, pp. 179–194
- De Witt, L. (2016). Managing individuals in the tourism and hospitality industry. In Hermann, U.P & Du Plessis, L. (Eds.) An introduction to tourism and hospitality management: a services approach. (pp. 141-150.) Pretoria: Van Schaik Publishers
- De Witt, L. (2016). Leading and leadership. In. Hermann, U.P & Du Plessis, L. (Eds.) An introduction to tourism and hospitality management: a services approach. (pp. 123-140). Pretoria: Van Schaik Publishers.
- Nicolaides, A. & De Witt, L. (2015). Corporate Social Responsibility and Stakeholder Needs. In. Vrontis,D., Sakka, G. & Amirkhanpour, M. (Eds.) Management Innovation and Entrepreneurship. (pp. 28-52). New Castle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- De Witt, L. (2014). Ecotourism marketing: a paradox? In. Manoj, E. & Zakkariya, K.A. (Eds.) Marketing dynamics in emerging markets. (pp 110-117). Kochi: Cochin University of Science and Technology.
Conferences (Peer reviewed)
- De Witt, L. & Van Der Merwe, P. (2013, September). An ecotourism model for South African National Parks. In Slabbert, E., Petzer, D., Myburgh, E. 2013 Conference proceedings: South African Institute of Management Scientists. Paper presented at the 2013 SAIMS conference. (pp. 877-894). Oxford University Press: Cape Town
- Mukete, A.A.E. & De Witt, L. (2013, September). Human resource challenges in tourism: students’ perceptions of the tourism industry. Paper presented at the Tourism Student Seminar Hosted by The Department of Tourism; North West Department of Economic Development, Environment and Tourism and the North-West University. Potchefstroom.
- De Witt, L.; Van Der Merwe, P. & Saayman, M. (2012, March). Responsible tourism in South African National Parks: a visitors’ perspective. Paper presented at the 10th Annual Savanna Networking Meeting. Skukuza, Kruger National Park.
- De Witt, L., Van Der Merwe, P. & Saayman, M. (2011, October). A visitors’ perspective of ecotourism at South African National Parks. Paper presented at 1st International Tourism and Management Studies Conference. Algarve, Portugal.
Invited Research Presentation
- De Witt, L. (2012). Ecotourism in South African National Parks: What do the visitors say? Public lecture at NMMU Saasveld Campus.
- Community involvement in Sharpeville township tourism, South Africa
- Visitors’ environmentally responsible behaviour at wildlife resorts in Limpopo Province, South Africa
- Urban ecotourism in Ivory Park Regional Park, South Africa
- Innovation paradoxes
- 2015 Rector’s Award for Teaching Excellence – Vaal University of Technology
- 2014 Researcher of the year award (Achievement category), 2nd place in – Vaal University of Technology
RESEARCH METHODS APPLICATION
- Survey research
- Exploratory Factor Analysis
- Regression analysis
- Other statistical data analysis (ANOVA; T-test; reliability tests)
CONTRIBUTIONS TO SCHOLARLY JOURNALS
Reviewed articles for:
- Journal for Development and Leadership (JDL)
- Acta Commercii
- Tourism planning & Development
- External examiner for Masters and Doctoral Theses for several universities (North-West University; Tshwane university of Technology; University of Johannesburg and Vaal University of Technology)
- External moderator for modules of several universities (Nelson Mandela Bay Metropolitan University; North-West University; Tshwane University of Technology)
- Reviewer for the National Research Foundation (NRF), South Africa
- Member of the Faculty Research and Innovation Committee, Vaal University of Technology (2013-2014)
- Member of the Scientific Committee for the 2013 South African Institute of Management Scientists (SAIMS) Conference
- 2010-2011 National Research Foundation (South Africa). Research funding (PhD)
- 2009 – 2011 North-West University (South Africa). Research funding (PhD)
- 2006 North-West University (South Africa). Research funding (MCom)
- Member of the South African Institute of Management Scientists (SAIMS)
SELECTED INDUSTRY INVOLVEMENT
- Exhibition Centre in Sharpeville – community research
- Tourism industry in the Vaal Region, South Africa – Market profile of visitors
- South African National Parks – Developed an ecotourism model
- Wedding Tourism Industry South Africa – Key success factors for managing wedding tourism products
- Innibos National Arts Festival – Market profile of visitors
IN THE MEDIA
- Port Elizabeth Herald (2012). Put ethics into SA ecotourism (interviewed)
- George Herald (2012). NMMU George Academics excel.
TEACHING AND LEARNING
Have taught various courses across different disciplines and levels.
- Supervision of Masters students
- Tourism Development
- Research methodology
- Business management
- Event management
- Consumer buying behaviour
- Strategic Management
- Human Resources Management
- Business Communication
- Sustainable tourism development
- MTech: Maboya, M.K. Assessing the environmentally responsible behaviour of tourist visiting selected resorts in Limpopo. (Vaal University of Technology)
- MTech: Mashapa, M.M. Determining host communities’ perceptions regarding urban ecotourism: the case of an urban park in Gauteng. (Vaal University of Technology)
Completed BTech Treatises (Selected)
- Ntsokolo Ernst Sigo (2013) Market analysis of visitors to the Vaal Region. (Vaal University of Technology)
- Njabulo Magagula (2013) Responsible tourism in the Vaal Region: a visitor’s perspective. (Vaal University of Technology)
- Emma Mukete (2013) Human resources challenges in the tourism industry: students’ perceptions and expectations. (Vaal University of Technology)
- Alta Murabi (2013) Responsible tourism in Vaal Region: a supply side perspective. (Vaal University of Technology)
- Matilda Modjadji Mashapa (2014) Community support for township tourism in the Vaal Region. (Vaal University of Technology)
- Lesley-Ann MacKay (2014) Community involvement in township tourism in the Vaal Region. (Vaal University of Technology)
- Lerato Tshukudu (2014) Community awareness of township tourism in the Vaal Region. (Vaal University of Technology)