Business Lecturer (Accounting)
I am a focused accounting and business lecturer/tutor, with over 15 years of teaching experience within the university and tertiary organisations in a multicultural environment.
I have great skills in delivering accounting and business management subjects, with a record of achieving outstanding student success rates and continuously receiving excellent student feedback from online student evaluations.
I will also bring in interpersonal skills, organisational, computing, management and leadership skills and communication skills.
- February 2004 to July 2012 Senior Business/Accounting Tutor (Full-Time), School of Business Management, New Zealand Management Academies Ltd. (One of the leading PTEs in NZ with four campuses in Auckland and Hamilton.
- Jan 1997 - Nov 2003 Accounting Lecturer/tutor (Part time), University of the South Pacific, Fiji (The University of the South Pacific is one of two regional universities in the world, supported by 12 Pacific Island Countries and is a premier provider of tertiary education in the Pacific Region.)
- Aug 2007 – Dec 2007 Accounting Lecturer/Tutor (Part Time), Whitireia Community Polytechnic – Auckland Campus
- Jan 1992 – Dec 2003 Head of Department- Commerce (1992-1996), Deputy Principal(Acting) (1997-2003), Ministry of Education–Indian College, Suva, Fiji (Large secondary school partly Government Funded)
- May 1989 – Dec1991 Accounting/Economics and Maths teacher.
- Dec/Jan 1997 Summer School Lecturer, Department of Education (Curriculum Studies), University of the South Pacific
- Dec/Jan 1998- 2003 External Exam Marker/Chief Marker (Accounting), Curriculum Development-Year12&13 (Accounting), Ministry of Education, Suva Fiji
- Jan 1984 – April 1989 High School Teacher (Accounting & Maths), Penang Sangam High School
- 2007 MASTERS IN PROFESSIONAL BUSINESS STUDIES(Hons) (Major-Accounting)Units covered: – Advanced Financial accounting, Advanced Managerial Accounting, Auditing, Taxation and Corporate Finance, Auckland University of Technology
- 1995 POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA IN EDUCATION, University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji
- 1992 BACHELOR OF ARTS (Major in Accounting), University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji
- 1983 DIPLOMA IN EDUCATION (Commercial Studies), University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji
- 2010 NATIONAL CERTIFICATE IN ADULT LEARNING AND EDUCATION (Level 5), Genesis Training Centre, New Zealand
- 2007 NATIONAL CERTIFICATE IN ADULT EDUCATION AND TRAINING (Level 5), Open Polytechnic New Zealand
- 2004 TRAIN THE TRANIER, University of Auckland
Teaching staff - Accounting specialisation
- Taumoepeau, S., Towner, N., Lal, B. & Pranish, T. (2015). Governance, intervention and outcomes for Pasifika students in New Zealand: A case study. Hospitality Education Providers Forum, Auckland, 28 August 2015.
International Conference Proceedings (Peer Reviewed)
- Taumoepeau, S., Towner, N., Lal, B. & Pranish, T. (2015). Governance, intervention and outcomes for Pasifika students in New Zealand: A case study. Hospitality Education Providers Forum, Auckland, 28 August.
- Taumoepeau, S., Pranish, T. & Lal, B. (2014).The effectiveness of particular support mechanisms for Pasifika students in New Zealand: A case study. Presentation at the University of the South Pacific Vaka Pasifika Education Conference ‘Weaving Theory and Practice in Teacher Education for Oceania’, 23-26 September, Nukualofa, Tonga.
Academic service (selection)
- NZMA Business Team Leadership best service award 2004-2012.
- Head of Commerce Department – best service award -Indian College Fiji 1993- 1997.
Invited Positions and Lectures (selection)
- Guest lecturer – Hospitality Department at NZMA and AIS.
- Judging and assessing the MBA dissertation defence presentations. 2014- 2015.
- Financial Workshops for Applied Management Studies. 2013 – 2016.
- Extension services/distance learning – University of the South Pacific- coordinator/lecturer for Accounting Principles and Practice. 2000 – 2002.
Selected Industry Involvement (selection)
- Assisted the NZQA Quality team in developing the resources and assessments for MYOB, Small business projects at National Diploma in Business level course.
- New Zealand Management Academies - developing and moderating accounting assessments using NZQA criteria.
- Whitireia Community Polytechnic - developing MYOB resources and assessments for the Business degree program.
- Ministry of Education Fiji, Curriculum development in accounting, chief marker external accounting exams
Teaching and Learning Experience
I joined AIS in 2012 as a full time business lecturer in the International Business Programme, teaching various accounting courses which includes auditing, finance, tax and both financial and managerial accounting up to advanced levels.
Together with a string of accounting qualifications including a Masters in Accounting (Hons) from AUT, I also have a vast teaching experience at both secondary and tertiary levels in Fiji and in New Zealand. Prior to this role I taught at a few tertiary institutions in New Zealand and at the University of the South Pacific in Fiji as an accounting lecturer. While in the secondary system in Fiji, my roles included Head of Department of Commerce and Deputy Principal. I also worked for the Fiji Ministry of Education assisting in developing accounting curriculums.
According to me, making a difference to the lives of our students is really rewarding; seeing them taking a step forward in their lives to achieve their goals.
Executive Program Teaching (MBA)
- Taught International finance paper in the MBA programme. 2015
- 2.101 Accounting Principles
- 2.114 Business law
- 2.223 Financial Management
- 2.235 NZ Taxation
- 2.236 Managerial Accounting
- 2.239 Financial Accounting
- 2.337 Advanced Financial Accounting
- 2.338 Auditing
- 2.344 Advanced Managerial Accounting
Masters Theses Supervision
- Supervision of two MBA student finance projects 2014- 2015.